The Bowflex Series 3 treadmill is the entry level model from Bowflex which also has a Series 5 and Series 7 treadmill to offer.
The baby of the pack is good news for those looking for a cheap treadmill.
So far all Bowflex treadmill reviews of the Series 3 on Amazon (16 to date at the time of writing – 11/07) have given the treadmill a rating of either 4 or 5 stars out of 5 (an average of 4.8) – that’s a great result in a market where there are usually more than a few disgruntled customers with any piece of exercise equipment.
So what is there to like about the Bowflex Series 3?
The fact is there are a whole lot of great features for the very reasonable price – the Bowflex Series 3 treadmill comes in at just under $1000 if yu manage to find it at a discount.
Series 3 Features
The Bowflex Series 3 treadmill has
- a lovely design you would be proud to show off in your home (Bowflex know how to make their machines look good) and a durable construction too
- the full range of speed and incline you are likely to need for moderate home exercise. The Bowflex Series 3 speed ranges from 0.5 mph to 10 mph and the incline goes from 0 to 12%
- there are Quick keys for Walk, Jog, Run speeds on this Bowflex treadmill to help you reach the right speed without having to continually press the “increase speed” button
- 20″ by 54″ one-ply running belt (ample for most users unless very tall) with shock absorption from Bowflex’s proprietary Strike Zone deck cushioning system. This aims to provide support, stability, and comfort during lift-off and landing motions for all Bowflex treadmills
- 6 Bowflex fitness programs including manual, cardio, running, fat burn, speed interval jogger, and hill intervals to give you variety in your workout
- grip heart rate monitoring
- 4 window LED computer display to track your workout progress giving feedback on speed, distance, workout time, incline level, and burned calories
- This Bowflex fitness machine folds for easier storage and portability. The folding feature has soft-drop declining so that the machine drops slowly to the floor when unfolding
- Two water bottle/cup holders
- 2″ (5cm) rollers for smooth running of the machine
- EASY assembly – all around the web you’ll see problems with the assembly of other machines – not so with the Bowflex exercise machines
- Maximum user capacity weight is 275 pounds
- Machine weight is a heavy 298 pounds – essential for stability of a treadmill
- Measures 77 x 35 x 55 1/4″h. open. Folded it’s 39 x 35 x 60″h
- Warranty : You get 15 years on the framework, 10 years on the motor with 2 years for the electronics and remaining parts and 1 year labor coverage – a good warranty for a treadmill of this price level
Any problems with the Bowflex treadmill Series 3?
- In common with that on most machines, the grip heart rate monitoring takes time to work and is therefore not as effective as a remote heart rate monitoring system using a chest strap. Consider buying a separate heart rate monitor if this is important to you. Some reviews also complain of console buttons which have a lag time in response of a second or two
- I have also seen one review criticizing durability of plastic parts but this is not reflected by most consumer reviews.
- This machine is HEAVY. Now you do not want a light machine as it will be unstable but make sure that you have some help with the delivery and installation of your Bowflex treadmill.
- Although it does not appear to strain under usage according to most reviews, the 1.75 continuous duty HP motor is a little less powerful than we would like to see for serious running or maximum usage. We would not advise this treadmill for heavy users or those who do intensive and frequent running. (Great for walkers though) If you need a treadmill suitable for heavier use take a look at the Bowflex Series 5 or Series 7 treadmills which have more powerful motors, more programs and larger running surfaces or the Sole F85 treadmill which we also recommend.
We like the Bowflex Series 3 treadmill for its reasonable price, great looks and good features but we recommend you choose one with a more powerful motor for serious running.
Where to Buy
You can buy the Bowflex Series 3 treadmill at Amazon usually well under the manufacturers recommended price.
Although a Bowflex treadmill mat will set you back a fair bit on top of the cost of your machine it is worth buying along with your treadmill so that you have the perfect surface to help keep dust out of your treadmill and protect your floors.