Smooth CE 2.1 Elliptical Trainer : Can You Do Better?
Smooth CE 2.1 elliptical - a Great Choice
The Smooth CE 2.1 elliptical trainer is a great choice in the mid price range for ellipticals - it feels like a much more expensive machine and it is built to last unlike many of the budget priced models.
So what is so good about the Smooth CE 2.1? Here are the features which make it a great buy:-
- Smooth elliptical trainers are known for being whisper quiet in operation and the CE 2.1 is no exception
- The Smooth CE Ellipticals have Electromagnetic Braking Systems which provide a fluid, smooth motion with less wear and tear. Gradual resistance is applied to make sure that the elliptical starts and stops without a jerking movement and retains its normal fluid motion when resistance levels change.
- 16 resistance levels - Though some ellipticals have 20 levels, 16 are ample for both beginners and advanced users alike. The resistance levels offer both a gradual increase in intensity for those looking to increase their fitness and a challenging workout at the highest levels.
- Articulating footpads (or as Smooth call them "ergonomic pivoting foot pedals") and well-designed pedal placement help cut down on "numb feet" syndrome (where your feet lose feeling during a long training session). The pedals move with your feet and your feet are able to flex so that your ankles don't have to stretch as much as they do with pedals in a fixed position as you go through the elliptical movement
- The 18" stride length is fine for all but the very tallest users. (if you read CE2.1 reviews complaining about the 16" stride length this has changed from previous models - Smooth actually listen!) If you're well over 6ft tall you might like to choose an elliptical with a 20" stride (such as that found on the Sole machines) to get the full range of movement otherwise you'll do fine on the CE 2.1 now it has 18"
- Dual action handlebars for a total body workout. You can firm your arms, chest and shoulders while you get your cardio workout. Although the elliptical does not interface with a chest strap heart rate monitor transmitter, pulse grips in the handlebars measure your heart rate as you work out (Normally you find pulse sensors on separate grip bars rather than on the moving handlebars which means you have to stop using the handlebars to check your pulse) Your heart rate appears on the console
- Smooth elliptical trainers are unique in the way that resistance is distributed between upper and lower body motion. A 3:1 ratio of lower body to upper body resistance on the Smooth CE Elliptical trainer means that all areas of the body are worked in the natural ratio of muscle mass in the upper body and legs . During a long workout this ratio means the user will fatigue equally with all four limbs and be able to workout for longer periods.
- forward and reverse motion
- Sturdy 5" solid steel frame, durable construction built to last and with life time warranty
- 20lb heavy duty flywheel provides stability during even intense workouts
- LCD display panel in the console which shows course, profile, speed, time, distance, heart rate, calories burned, resistance level
- The elliptical has 9 programs as follows (target time, target distance, target calories, random, fat burning, endurance, interval, watt control and target heart rate - more than enough for most people especially as the random program gives you 50 different workouts to keep you on your toes. Each of the Smooth exercise programs can be manually adjusted as you work out.
- Power supply required (AC Adapter supplied)
- Transport Wheels at the back for easier movement and positioning. Although you will not want to move your Smooth elliptical machine too often (it weighs 175lbs) it is useful to be able to tilt and wheel your equipment when you do need to move it)
- 300lb maximum weight limit
- Footprint : 76" * 28" (Height 67")
- Lifetime warranty on the frame and braking system, with 2 years parts and electronics and 1 year labor - this shows that the Smooth Fitness has confidence in their product. The warranty is backed up by responsive customer service which Smooth have taken great pains to get right.
With other ellipticals you usually have the problem of how to get heavy elliptical equipment to the right place in your home and how to assemble it properly to get it ready for action. With Smooth equipment however, there is the option to order the inside delivery and assembly service for an additional charge (around $95). If you are not handy with a screwdriver and/or not use to lifting heavy weights it is well worth taking advantage of this.
Any Problems With the Smooth CE 2.1 Elliptical?
There are no real problems with this elliptical although here are a few things we noted in carrying out our review:-
- There is no heart rate control program in this elliptical (where the resistance adjusts automatically based on a continual heart rate reading). If that is something which you need see the Smooth CE 3.2 model. For an additional $200, the 3.2 model also has the ability to retain program details for several users and a heavier flywheel.
- As Smooth exercise equipment is only available online you can't try out your Smooth CE 2.1 elliptical before purchase. It has to be said however, that many people have bought before you and never regretted their purchase for one moment.
"It isn't quiet, it is SILENT. I am not exaggerating. There is no noise whatsoever, not even a whooshing noise or anything. Silent. It has been almost 6 months and I am still in love with this machine!"
"Smooth has very quickly become the #1 manufacturer of high quality fitness equipment in the $1000-$2000 price range because of that high quality and spectacular customer service."
treadmillsensei.com Smooth Elliptical review
You'll look a long time to find a better elliptical than the Smooth CE 2.1 at this price ($1299) with its solid, sturdy construction and high-end features backed up by great customer service and guarantee
Where to Buy the Smooth CE 2.1 Elliptical Trainer
You can only buy this elliptical and other Smooth Products online.
The best place to purchase is directly from the manufacturers Smooth Fitness because the equipment is usually available at sale prices of up to 45% the price of equivalent ellipticals available in stores. Selling direct allows the company to reduce overheads and keep prices low while producing high quality fitness equipment.
The current sale price of the Smooth CE 2.1 Elliptical is $1299 including free shipping and all orders are shipped by Smooth within 48 hours.
See the Smooth website for more details about this elliptical, other Smooth ellipticals and the great range of Smooth treadmills too.