Schwinn 418 Elliptical Review
The Schwinn 418 elliptical trainer has become one of the most popular elliptical trainers on the market in recent years. This is partly due to great elliptical consumer reports and Best Buy Ratings.
It has a whole stack of features for the price and it feels good in operation.
A Great Buy
So on the face of it this Schwinn elliptical trainer is a great buy and scores 5 out of 5 on value for money.
- It is available for well under $1000 ($699 online last time I checked though the M.R.P. is $999).
- It has the feel of a sturdy quality machine. It has a smooth motion.
- It has moving handlebars which give an upper body workout
- It has articulating footpads which many machines are lacking.
- And it has programs to match higher end models.
Why only a 4 out of 5 Rating from Us?
We hesitate to give the Schwinn 418 a full 5 out of 5 rating and recommendation because of some quality issues which have come to light in the customer reviews.
The problem is that it seems there are one or two disgruntled buyers posting Schwinn 418 reviews as well as many purchasers extremely happy with their choice of elliptical machine.
For example, at Amazon there are a few reviews of the 418 Schwinn elliptical complaining that parts were not delivered, or assembly was impossible or that things broke shortly after first using the fitness equipment.
So it seems that a few unlucky people have received a dud machine while most got a great piece of cardio exercise equipment for a fantastic price.
It's as well that the customer service reps do seem to do their stuff when things go wrong and deliver replacement parts – though one reviewer used good old Amazon for replacement and that's where the backup of well known company really helps.
Features of the Schwinn 418
As we said, the features generally tick all the right boxes and are hard to beat especially for the price of the Schwinn 418 trainer
- High-inertia drive system using a Poly V Belt and an oversized 11kg (24lb) flywheel design give this elliptical good stability
- moving handlebars provide an upper body workout
- Schwinn have provided heart-rate sensors located on the handgrips which drive some of the programs
- There are 12 workout programs with this elliptical stepper including rolling, valley, fat burn, ramp, random, plateau, intervals, mountain, 2 heart rate, 1 fitness test and manual mode and the display console gives feedback on Time, Profile, speed, RPM, resistance, watts and heart rate
- This machine has a maximum weight capacity of 275 pounds
- There is an 18-inch stride on the 418 which is generous for the lower priced ellipticals and fine for most people. (Look for something larger if you are over 6 ft 4”)
- The Schwinn 418 has articulating footpads that follow the natural motion of your foot and support your heel through the whole stride helping to prevent "numb feet" syndrome
- Schwinn provide a warranty on the frame (15 years), Parts (2 Years), Electronics (1 year) with 6 months cover for Labor and Wear Items. This is much more than many of the lower end ellipticals
- The 418 trainer also has 8 resistance levels which are computer controlled. While higher end models have up to 20, this is ample for a general fitness program
- This machine has magnetic resistance and the Eddy Current brake system normally found in high end elliptical trainers to provide a smooth ride
- The 418 comes with wheels for transportation
- Dimensions when built : 66 inches long by 25 inches wide by 66 inches tall (168 x 63.5 x 168 cm)
- Power requirements: 4-C Batteries or 110 volt AC Adapter. If you use batteries you can site this machine away from a power outlet.
So on balance what do we recommend...
The Schwinn Elliptical trainer 418 is a fantastic choice for about $700. In fact my only reservation in not giving a full recommendation and more than 4 out of 5 rating is the small doubt raised about build quality by some buyers. If you're willing to sort out any problems with customer services should you be one of the unlucky ones I still think it is very well worth buying a Schwinn 418.
Where to Buy the Schwinn Elliptical Trainer 418
Using Amazon will give you the extra reassurance when buying over the internet especially if anything goes wrong.
Amazon also doesn't just have one Schwinn elliptical machine review about this model but over 75 people all writing about the Schwinn 418 and an average rating of 4 out of 5!