Sole E35 – a Smart Choice?
The Sole E35 elliptical trainer is a smart choice when you are looking for quality elliptical equipment without spending an arm and a leg. It has so many features that are normally only found in high end ellipticals that you are sure to be happy with it.
While the next model down (the E25 elliptical trainer) is some $200 – $300 cheaper, we believe that if you are willing to overshoot a $1000 budget by $300 in choosing the E35 elliptical machine you are unlikely to regret it.
With the Sole E35 elliptical trainer you will find:-
- a stride length of 20″ – generous for elliptical machines of this price range where many have 16″ or 18″. Shorter stride lengths give a choppy rather than smooth elliptical motion and feel awkward when you pick up speed. This is the case for everyone but especially if you are on the tall side. The E35 has a true elliptical motion which feels more natural as you move. This factor is one of those that separates the good from the bad when making a purchase yet many people fail to consider it.
- 16 levels of resistance which allow you to increase the intensity of exercise in gradual increments as you move up the levels. You will find some ellipticals at this price range with 20 resistance levels but 16 is ample. The highest levels on Sole E35 elliptical trainers provide a challenging workout
- a specially designed and patented two degree slope on the large articulating footplates which help reduce strain on knees and ankles and gives you a smoother ride and a more natural movement. The footplates (which were designed in collaboration with sports specialists) help prevent feet going numb during a long workout
- Eddy Current Braking resistance system – the best choice for ellipticals and usually found on high end models
- easy to use console display with back light
- built-in cooling fan
- water bottle holder
- all of the Sole elliptical trainers are very quiet in operation due to their superb drive system
- forward and reverse motion
- heavy 30lb flywheel gives great stability. The lighter the machine the more it is inclined to wobble. Stability is a major factor in satisfaction levels with elliptical equipment.
- moving handlebars for a effective upper-body workout
- stationary handlebars for balance. There are sensors built into the handlebars to measure your pulse and there is a separate heart rate chest strap included for hands-free continual heart rate measurement
- There is a heart rate control program built into the machine (although the Sole website appears to contradict this – it is definitely there!) and 5 other programs as well as the ability to design a user-program
- Weight capacity 300lbs
- Footprint 82″ x 27″
Any Problems with the Sole E35 elliptical?
There are a few minor issues – nothing which would put us off buying, but we did note:-
- Although there are more programs than on the E25, 8 programs is still a bit on the low side if you are looking for a lot of variety. (If truth be told most people use very few programs and many just input their favorite level and off they go – but if you wanted a vast array of complicated programs you wouldn’t find them here).
- Of course this means the E35 comes off badly against those machines in the same price range which appear to give you a lot of features for your money and then disappoint you with poor build quality, lack of stability and annoying squeaks after a few weeks.
- The console is less substantial and informative than some of the high end models but it is adequate for its purpose.
- The fan will probably not provide much of a cooling effect. This is typical of fans built into exercise equipment. If you need to cool down while you work out your best bet (no matter which machine you buy) is to purchase a separate pedestal fan from a shop like Walmart and site it near your machine while you work out.
It has to be said that problems and complaints are few and far between. People tend to be delighted with their purchase of this Sole elliptical trainer and with Sole fitness equipment in general. Certainly Hilton have been happy to furnish their hotels with Sole fitness treadmills for a number of years and they are now adding the ellipticals. The Sole E35 reviews you’ll find are positive and upbeat (try finding as many happy customers of other equipment in this price range and you’ll look for a long time). Some examples…
“the Sole E35 elliptical is one of the sturdiest units you’ll find under $1300”
I researched for about 4 months before I made my choice and I’m very happy with the results
The Sole E35 ellipticals have a great warranty – the best you’ll find at this level, showing you how much confidence the company have in the build quality. With a lifetime warranty on the frame, five years parts warranty and two years labor you are pretty well covered in the event of problems. The extra warranty cover may even be enough to justify the E35 over the Sole E25 (which has three years parts warranty and one year labor) especially if you thinking of purchasing extended warranty cover. In any case you can feel happy to have chosen a Sole when lesser mortals are battling with a 90 day warranty (How little confidence those manufacturers must have in their machines!)
The Sole E35 elliptical trainer is a class leader in terms of performance, stability, smoothness of operation and value. Highly recommended.
Where to Buy the Sole E35 elliptical trainer
The Sole E35 is usually on sale for a good price at Amazon where you will get free shipping from a trusted supplier. You can also buy Sole ellipticals from Sports Authority. This company includes shipping with internal delivery for the same price. And obviously if you are out of state, there’s a big advantage to buying elliptical fitness equipment online – no sales tax to pay.